Thursday, 24 September 2026

NEW INTERVIEW: Our first interview with Marsya, VOICE OF BACEPROT (Garut modern rock/ modern metal), featuring Man Jasad, 17 May 2026.

                                 My first interview with Marsya, Voice of Baceprot 

Sunday, 17 May 2026 @ VOB base camp, Garut, West Java, Indonesia 

Interview length: 60 minutes

Sundanese pronunciation: [ba.t͡ʃə.prot]bah-che-prot, lit. 'loudness/noise'

Q1: Kieran James: Please tell me the history of the band.

Marsya (vocalist/guitarist, Voice of Baceprot): Everything started in 2014. At that time, we are in junior high-school. So, actually, me and the drummer Siti we were already friends since elementary school. And then we met Widi, our bass player, in junior high-school.  At that time, we are in the same theatre community. We have very bad acting so our teacher, Abah, told us to be the production team.

Actually, the students that learnt there was 15 students. Our parents didn’t give us permission, so the members became seven and finally only three of us. 

Q2: KJ: How did you create the song ‘School Revolution’? 

Marsya: We created the song together. It’s the first time I wrote lyrics. And Abah helped me to write lyrics. It is about the education system. I’m bored at school [laughs]. I almost didn’t continue my school.  I learnt English by myself, TV, lyrics.

KJ. In ‘School Revolution’, I hear AC/DC influence, Twisted Sister, Anthrax, nu-metal too. 

Marsya: I love AC/DC. Those are our influences. I use Gibson SG due to Angus Young.

KJ: The guitar solo is impressive. 

Marsya: I’m not really confident on my solo. I say it’s so bad. After releasing the album, I think that’s my best solo. I did the musical video about 2017, 2018. Actually, we just go with the flow, with our feelings, we are angry girls, I think. Music is the only medium to convey all our anger at the time until now. 

Q3: KJ: Are you surprised that you have so much success in England? 

Marsya: It’s too far. It’s still like a dream.

Q4: KJ: Tell me about the experience in Glastonbury. 

Marsya: Everything was amazing, the crowds; onstage except the toilet, including the people from there. After the show, we can do the massage. That’s the first place I saw the massage in the backstage, that was amazing. 

Q5: KJ: Where did the band vision come from? 

Marsya: The vision at first came from Abah. At the beginning, we did not know anything except to play music. But we were happy with that.

Now, we have a clear vision for the future, we can be ourselves, to say ‘no’ to everything our parents say- have to get married at an early age; have to stay at home; cook something for the family and take care of the family until they get old. 

Q6: KJ: What do you think about the West’s attitude about you wearing hijabs? 

Marsya: I’m a bit surprised by the way they see it as normal. We wear it every day. Many people in Western [countries] trying to understand about hijab and Islam and metal music itself. It’s new for them, I think.   

KJ: Possibly because in the UK the largest Muslim group is Pakistani and they are more severe about the religion than Indonesians. 

Marsya: Nobody there knows about Indonesia, they think it’s like Afghanistan. I have to explain to the media we are not like Afghanistan. 

KJ: There’s more freedom here [Indonesia] now than in the West.

Marsya: Yeah.

Q7: KJ: When I heard about your band, I remembered that Man from Jasad is originally from Garut. I wondered whether he had some association with you early on. Did you know him from the beginning?

Marsya:  We know him since we started the band. He is a big influence on the sound. The first time I met him personally was in Wacken [in 2022].

[Note: While his band Jasad did not perform that year, Man was at the festival serving as an official International Judge for the Wacken Metal Battle 2022. He was there to support and judge the Indonesian representatives (the Balinese metal band Ludicia.)]

Q8: KJ: How do the Indonesians react to your band? 

Marsya: At first, the reaction was not good at all. Because they think we are bad influence to other Muslims. They think that metal music is Satanic music, they think it is wrong for Muslims like us.

Q9: KJ: What are your future plans?

Marsya: We are planning to release second album; we hope it will be released next year. We want to do a second tour, and an Indonesian tour; that will be our first Indonesian tour. It really makes me sad [that we never did a full Indonesian tour before]. Now, we are in the middle of the process to release a new single.

Q10: KJ: What is your comment about the metal scene in Garut?

Marsya: I don’t really know, because we are [only] involved in the local scene in our early days. After finishing high-school, we moved off to Jakarta. Because the three of us, we were moved to Jakarta by our label, 2020-2023. 

Q11: KJ: What is the philosophy of the lyrics? 

Marsya: We just write about what is happening in our lives. That’s why we talk about environmental issues, humanity, women’s issues.

Q12: KJ: Are the lyrics from a social or religious perspective? 

Marsya: We are not religious persons really [laughs].

Q13: KJ: What are your favourite bands from Indonesia? 

Marsya: I think Seringai, Burgerkill, Navicula (Bali). 

Q14: KJ: When will the Indonesian tour take place?

Marsya: I hope it is next year and I hope I can go on tour with other female bands. 

Q15: KJ: Will you change the music style? 

Marsya: I don’t know yet; we will try a combination.  We want to collaborate with bands from other genres; everything is still possible.

Q16: KJ: Do you think the three members will stay together?

Marsya: Yes, of course. We feel like as long as we can play the instrument we will keep the band. Me and Widi start farming together.

Man from Jasad [in writing]: Membangun Ketahanan Pangan Secara Kekal [Building permanent food security].

Marsya: You know the economy in Indo; we cannot just live from the music now. So, we have to find another way., be a farmer- if you need vegetables, you can take it from the garden. It’s as simple as that. 

Q17: KJ: Will you still be playing metal at age 57?

Marsya: I don’t know; I can’t wait that long [laughs].

Q18: KJ: I think that you have a beautiful voice on ‘[NOT] Public Property’.

Marsya: I change the lyrics on that song many times. I was told that it was too bold. They say it will put me in the danger, but I don’t care. 

Q19: KJ: If one of you leaves the band, would you replace with woman or man?

Marsya: We would just finish everything.

*****THE END*****


No comments:

Post a Comment

NEW INTERVIEW: Our first interview with Marsya, VOICE OF BACEPROT (Garut modern rock/ modern metal), featuring Man Jasad, 17 May 2026.

                                 My first interview with Marsya, Voice of Baceprot   Sunday, 17 May 2026 @ VOB base camp, Garut, West Java...